Throughout the year, Spitalfields Music runs an extensive programme in Tower Hamlets offering around 250 workshops to participants aged from 2 days old to 90+. 95% of participants are from within the borough and speak over 50 different languages. 85% of our activity is free.
Offering opportunities for people of all ages to engage with music is something we’ve been doing since 1989, and in 2019 we celebrate 30 years of our award-winning Learning & Participation programme.
Our Learning & Participation Programme focuses on:
- Schools – working with pupils, teachers and parents to put music at the heart of school life for a group of 4 mainstream schools and 2 Special Educational Needs Centres in Spitalfields.
- Out-of-school activity – we work with young people outside of school time, including our Soundbox ensemble which engages young people of all background and abilities with the making and creating of music.
- Community – choirs, intergenerational and inter community projects and family focused activity form the backbone of this programme, offering chances for local people to participate in the highest quality music.
Find out more about our Learning & Participation programme by taking a look at our current and recent projects.
- 2011 – RPS Music Award for Learning and Participation for We Are Shadows
- 2005 – RPS Music Award for Education and Community for On Spital Fields