Learning & Participation
Throughout the year, Spitalfields Music runs an extensive programme in Tower Hamlets offering around 250 workshops to participants aged from 2 days old to 90+. 95% of participants are from within the borough and speak over 50 different languages. 85% of our activity is free.
Offering opportunities for people of all ages to engage with music is something we’ve been doing since 1989, and in 2014 we celebrated 25 years of our award-winning Learning & Participation programme.
Our Learning & Participation Programme focuses on:
- Schools – working with pupils, teachers and parents to put music at the heart of school life for a group of 12 mainstream schools and 3 Special Educational Needs Centres in Spitalfields.
- Community – choirs, intergenerational and inter community projects and family focused activity form the backbone of this programme, offering chances for local people to participate in the highest quality music.
- Professional Development – ensuring that our participants get the best leadership means looking after the leaders. We run a ground-breaking set of training programmes for musicians at different stages in their careers who are working in the community.
Find out more about our Learning & Participation programme by taking a look at our current and recent projects.
- 2011 – RPS Music Award for Learning and Participation for We Are Shadows
- 2005 – RPS Music Award for Education and Community for On Spital Fields